Feature Story: When Regina College made way for air force recruits
Students at Regina College left the stately red brick buildings on College Avenue during the Second World War, when Regina College was converted into a training centre for air force recruits. It was 75 years ago today – on May 31, 1940 – that the packing and moving was done on College Avenue, and Regina College moved to temporary facilities downtown. On moving day “faculty members cleaned out their offices, and movers transported filing cabinets, desks and books to the new quarters,” writes James Pitsula in his book As One Who Serves. As Canada became involved in the war, there was a need to train servicemen. The University of Saskatchewan offered Regina College as a training centre.